總網頁瀏覽量

2015年8月18日 星期二

Newcomer to an Old Restaurant (老店新客)

I'm not one of those, like so many of my gourmet/gourmand friends, who'd go out of his way to seek out new places to titillate their palates. But piqued by the recent introduction of fellow blogger Peter Yau, I decided to risk my time and my money on a new venture. Fortunately, I didn't have to risk much of my time and not much of my money either.





How often does one dine under the gaze of the emperor?




and the empress too?




and has a bridal room close to where one dines? 




and in a place where you can have a glimpse at the life of ordinary folks in the ancient capital in a mock-postmodernist imitation of what is supposed to be a pencil sketch of traditional Chinese style painting but with humbled up multiple perspectives?



 and on top of those, with a Chinese lady touching her face lightly with lotus-flower style hand gesture.




an another lady at the "account's section" at the entrance touching her hair?




It's supposed to be a place which reminds one of a thing or two about old Beijing




complete with mock old Beijing style wine counter but with two of its waitresses completely absorbed in watching the goings-on on their mobile screens, one in front and the other behind the counter.



The place is supposed to be a home outside of home.



Something wrong with my eyes or the eyes of my camera? A fish bowl right at the centre of the table?



Lemme take another closer look. No doubt about it. These are gold fishes.



There's another one at the centre of another smaller table too!


and a lady in her underwear half exposed behind a Chinese wooden screen right on one of its dishes!


And the Chinese character for "Earth" coming alive!

and another stone trough at the entrance  with gold fish too. I don't suppose one would seriously be expected to drink from that trough


certainly not when the door guard is watching not two steps away.


 What is this File of Document and Painting with the Father of Modern China doing here above a wooden stool next to the door guard?


I tried to solicit an answer from this mythical beast. But it answered in a language I could not make head or tail with.


Since I had no luck with the mythical beast, I thought I might fare better with this laughing Buddha. I seem to hear him say that that is not a matter one should be bothered with here, where one is supposed to have a good meal.  Yes the Buddha always gave people the same advice: forget the past and don't worry about the future and concentrate on whatever one is supposed to be doing at the time. How could I quarrel with the great Buddha. I'm supposed to be here to eat something, isn't that right?




First dish: fried double greens.



Then barbecued mutton



and of course the famous Beijing duck




washed down with "malt" tea!



That'll be HK$427.00 please, Sir. I felt like this lantern. As far as the quality of the food is concerned, I'd much rather that served in a small folksy restaurant in the Shamhuipo area.

 
To bid me farewell is this loving couple!

沒有留言:

張貼留言