總網頁瀏覽量

2010年6月20日 星期日

A Few Random Thoughts on Father's Day

I didn't realize it was Father's Day until I switched on the computer today. In fact, I read two blog pieces one yesterday and one this morning by fellow bloggers. One was rather sad. The other was much happier. But both touched in one way or another the question of our relations with our parents. This set off a chain of thoughts about my own mother and my father.


Although I had both father and mother when I was born, they remained little more than biological parents. For various reasons, my natural mother left me and my elder brothers and younger sister  when I was in primary 2. From then on, I never had a mother. She never returned nor saw us until I became a lawyer when, she suddenly telephoned me one day to claim her dues as my "mother" presumably under my obligations to her under the Confucian values of "filial piety". She died last year. But even before she left us, she had never been what I now know to be a true mother. I was left in the care of one after another of our "amahs" paid for by my father even during the times when she was living with us. I suppose that only reason why she got the right to claim her "dues" from me is that she had given me the greatest gift of all: life itself. I was inside her uterus for about 9 months. I cannot think of any other rational basis of her claim to my support. If one believed in the Hindu/Buddhst doctrine of "karmic debt", perhaps one could say that I owed it to her in my previous life for some favors or others she bestowed on me which I never repaid. If one believed in Buddhist dogma, then perhaps I might have benefitted enormously from the prayers she offered to the Buddha on my behalf without my knowledge, she being a very devout Buddhist. There is little doubt that I have so far been an extremely "lucky" guy. There is hardly a problem I have not been able to resolve one way or another, even the most difficult, albeit with some hiccups in some of the more difficult ones. 


My own father died more than 30 years ago. He was the only child in the family and had been spoiled by my paternal grandmother. He had a sharp mind. He made a lot of money when he was young. As with so many men, once he had got a bit of money, he fooled around with other women. I did not understand then. I do now. It was in fact the custom in those days. But custom or no custom, I only remember how I hated all those women he brought around to our house from time to time and whom we were asked to call "auntie" when I was a child. We were made to do errands for them! And one time, he even thought of taking one of them as his fourth concubine! All 5 of his children objected. He backed down.


I remember that for some reasons, when I was about 4 years old, when I was in my first year of kindergarten, we were suddenly made to leave the house where I was born and was made to move first to the ground floor of a newly built row of village houses in the Kowloon City area and then some two years later to a very dusty, dirty and noisy small attic the ground floor of which was a weaving factory whose looms seemed never to stop, producing the most annoying "clik-clak" sound when they hit each other in their endless operations. There I contracted jaundice , my mother had TB and I was infected by what was called "100-day cough" or "chicken cough". I remember having to take some very bitter Chinese herbalist medicine eveyday and some pig's liver soup which I hated and some honey with two types of ground almonds and lotus leaves which tasted alright. I had to quit school for about 5 months. I was fed by a very fat lady amah in her early 30s who came from the "4 counties" (四邑) speaking Mui county (梅縣) dialect. I still remember the smell of the oil which she used on her hair, which she would tie into a long pig tail behind her "sam-fu". During that time, my father took his second concubine, my step mother, his third wife from whom I had an additional younger sister. . 


At the time I quit primary 2 , I loved going to school because I was a darling of all my female teachers. When I first heard from my mother that I had to quit school, my little mind was filled with an unnameable panic. I cried and cried and cried. As a last resort, I asked to talk to the school principal, with tears all over my face and a nose made runny with them. She was tom-boy type woman, very tough. We were never allowed to enter her office without first having to go through her thin witch-like personal secretary with a long sharp face and an aguiline nose.  All the pupils were afraid of her because whenever we did not "behave", we would be asked into her room by her secretary and given the cane and a demerit. But she seemed to like me and from time to time, for some reasons which totally escaped me, she would ask me to go into that little hut at the back of the school, close to the sand playing pitch, which doubled up both as her living quarters and private office and there she would give me a candy or some wafers which I loved and sometimes a glass of milk. But upon hearing the news of my quitting school, I was so afraid I would never be able to go back to school again and since in my little mind, she was the most powerful figure at the whole school, I asked to speak to her in the hope that I would be permitted to go back with her assistance. It was then just after Christmas. She told me not to worry. I remember asking my mother many times after that when I could go back to school but she never gave me any definite reply. All she said was that I might be able to go back when I recovered from my long illness. To get back to school as quickly as possible, I braced myself to take those very bitter Chinese herbalist concoctions served to me as a thick black soup with some yellowish froth around the rim of the big china bowl. I got to take two of those everyday. I remember that whenever I thought about not being able to return to school, I sobbed, especially when I recalled the fun I had with my friends in school. I recall a glass cupboard in the one storey school hall where there were placed in several glass partitioning plates many beautiful plastic and metal toy soldiers, with tanks and electric trains and even a model fighter plane. I do not know how many hours of my recessses and my lunch hours before afternoon classes began were whiled away there with my face glued to the glass door to the cupboard. I would imagine all kinds of possible stories with the soldiers doing all kinds of exciting battles with each other, getting wounded but bravely fighting on and sometimes I would sketch them out on what was then called "writing pad paper" (柏紙簿). These were happy "dream times". Fortunately, when school resumed in September the same year, I was promoted to primary three despite not having taken any final examination and I was back in the house where I was born but by then, my mother had left. 


My father was a clever business man. But I do not think he knew the meaning of love. He only knew passions and drives. He was a driven man. He was driven by his instincts. Perhaps for him, love consisted of lust and money but to have love, one must have money, the same way that the letter "m " inevitably follows the letter "l" in the English aphabet.  I feel sorry for him. He did not know what he was doing and why he was doing what he was doing. This is what sparked my interest in philosophy when I was 16 when I bought my first book of philosophy at a second hand book store at the end of the street where I was then living with my father, then in vastly diminished circumstances. At that time, I already had to take up two private tuition jobs to supplement family income. Whilst my friends could stay on the football field or the ping pong table after school, I had to rush home one or twice a week to go to the market and prepare dinner for the whole family on days I did not need to give private lessons to primary school kids. I asked myself many questions about life. There were so many things I could not understand. In any event, I bought my first book of philosophy there. The book was Will Durant's "The Story of Philosophy". I bought that excellent book at the ridiculous price of HK1.00! The was the value of philosophy! Perhaps it hasn't appreciated much since then. But whatever the value of philosophy may be, I received the shock of my life after reading it. I was so surprised that none of the philosophers appeared to agree with any of the others on various topics like what is truth, what is good, what is beauty, what is the full extent of man's liberty, what is the best type of society that man can have etc. Each one of the philosophers seemed so persuasive and believable until you read the next! ( Sounds so remarkably like ladies' dresses, shoes, lovers!?)  I am still reading philosophy on my own, not that I believe that I would ever be able find out what the "true" answers to various questions should be but at least I need to find some justifications for "my" personal answers to those questions.


My reflections upon my emotionally distant relationships with my parents before I went to mass at the Cathedral today took a happier turn by an incident which occurred during the mass. There was a young couple sitting in the pew in front of me. They had a young kid. From her size and the fact that she was not yet able to say any word, I think she would be less than a year old. She was being held sometimes by her mother and sometimes by her father, her fat little head lying so comfortably against the head and neck of her parents. She had a chubby face, very big, round, lively and watery eyes.  She was constantly moving about out of curiosity. She wanted to explore the strange and mysterious world around her. Her eyes landed on mine. She held out her little chubby fingers to me, time and again. She was smiling at me and waving her fingers. I reached out my hand. She held it. She shook it a few times. She chuckled happily. I smiled back. Perhaps she was pleased that she succeeded in drawing my attention. Then she released my finger. She waved her fingers at me again. To attract me, she gave me another one of her sunny smiles. I reached out my finger to her again. She held it again, smiled, released it again and so on and so on. She was such a happy child. Her happiness was infectious. She is our hope. Her smile is the smile of Life. By her smile, she made me forget my previous disappointment with life. It was so innocent! It took so little. Just a few smiles! She has transported me away from my past. It was so quick. It happened at the speed of light! She brought me back to the present, instantly. And the present is so full of the sunshine of her smiles, the unalloyed glee of her chuckles, and the sparkle of trust in her big round eyes!


5 則留言:

  1. What a life you once had!
    It's a new beginning when you started reading philosophy books.
    It's another new start when you're attracted to the smile of a child, a happy
    beginning... I hope that her smile will keep you warm forever...
    [版主回覆06/20/2010 22:48:00]I am naturally resilient. Life has trained me to be so. I simply cannot afford to be frozen by my past. I will never allow that. Thank God, the Buddha, the One, my genes and whatever or whoever it might be. But above all, I must thank that little girl!

    回覆刪除
  2. 與你分享我的感受 :
    在觀賞大自然的一切時
    感到自己的渺小
    所遭遇過的也是渺小
     
    This is one of my favourite pieces:
    when i consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars,
    which you have set in place,
    what is man that you are mindful of him,
    the son of man that you care for him?
         --- psalm 8:3-4
     
    [版主回覆06/20/2010 23:53:00]Thank you for reminding me of the insignficance of our so-called personal "suffering" vis-a-vis the vastness of the universe, whom scientists tell us had been created some 15 billion years go and with some 15 billion known stars, galaxies, mega-galaxies. Whether or not they had been created by the Christian God, or had come into existence all by themselves or were the results of an endless cycle of destruction and re-emergence, they are still vast any by human standards. They do remind us not to think only of our 'insignificant selves". But whilst we may realize this intellectually, we are still unfortunately controlled by the type of brain which we had some 400,000 years ago when homo sapiens first learned to walk upon the earth on 2 instead of 4 of their limbs. They are now therefore an equal number of years out of date. For that reason, we still can't control what kind of thoughts and emotions will flood into our brain when. But the great Buddha has already taught us that whilst we cannot control when our thoughts and emotions might surge into our brain to mess up our lives, we do have the power not to allow them to "continue" to stay there once they are there. That's what I am doing. So those thoughts and emotions I wrote about are now back where they belong: in the past. I can now continue to live "without them" in the here and now! But thanks again for your consolation and your Biblical wisdom

    回覆刪除
  3. Having known you since primary 6, it’s only today that you have filled me up with a missing link of your early life. I remember having spent those happy times at your place when I was a boy, and I was so envious of what you had: the big verandah, the TV, the fridge, the big sitting room and a father who spoke fluent English, etc., etc. All that caught my eyes were those material comforts and little that I knew that you were in such want of parental love then (I only had an inkling of it).
    We both had experienced hardships in our young days albeit in different ways. I was lucky to have loving and caring parents but ours were purely financial problems. There was a time when we didn’t even have money to pay for school fees or buy food (having to subsist on leftover breads supplied by a store on the street where you lived, which we rolled up simply with green bean shoots( 豆芽 )for dinners). For a while, we even used newspaper as toilet paper. Going to your place then was almost like a trip to paradise (still remember that exciting football match I watched at your place).
    I still remember on one occasion, sitting together on a bench along the road, the encouragements you gave me when I was at the trough of my life, when life didn’t seem worth living for. So many years have gone by and we are still together, through thick and thin. It’s good that life has let us learn how to struggle, how to live, how to love and how to forgive. We should look back not with bitterness nor with self-pity but with an even more magnanimous and noble mind. For life is beautiful if we take it as a gift from heaven!
    All the best, chum!
     
    [版主回覆06/21/2010 10:21:00]When I came to your place, I was touched by the warmth of your mother, whom I imaginatively regarded as my own. I felt like a stray dog coming home. How I envied you!

    回覆刪除
  4. Mr elzorro,
    Present is the gift for today and the reason why you have a such wonderful present is because of what you have been through in the pass. I read one of the forward mail article which i like the best and would like to share with you:
    "When someone is in your life for a REASON. . . It is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are! They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered. And now it is time to move on. "
    Your parent bring you to the world, even though they didn't do much to give you a happy childhood, they have made you a stronger person to experience, to see the world by yourself. Today, you could claim that everything you have is your own effort to achieve.
    [版主回覆06/25/2010 07:42:00]We do not know why we are here. We do not know why our parents are here. We also do not know why we meet the people we meet. Perhaps we are not meant to know the reason. Maybe, there is no reason. But we do know at least two things. The present is all we have. If we do not make use of the present to do something meaningful to ourselves and perhaps to others, we shall close our eyes upon this world with regret. We shall regret that we have failed ourselves and perhaps those we could have helped to have a happier life. You are right. Because of the way I was brought up, I have now become a much stronger person. That may be a blessing in disguise. Now I have become a "helper". It gives me a great deal of satisfaction that I am now able to help a lot of people whose minds are less clear than mine, whose hearts are much more muddled than mine to resolve their problems which life throws in their path. I do that as part of my profession and also as other's pesonal friends or acquaintances.  I read a lot. I reflect a lot. If I did not ask the kind of questions that I did when I was young, I might not have become the kind of person that I am now. But when I was small, I could not help but feel what I then felt. My parents have given me the greatest gift of all: they gave me life with a brain of reasonably good quality. For those alone, I must be grateful to them. I no longer harbor any ill-feelings towards my parents. They did not know what they were doing. They taught me the need to know what I am doing. That's why I choose to read philosophy and psychology on my own. Ignorance may be a man's greatest enemy. I am set to overcome this enemy. Hence I write this blog, so that others may share what I have learned. As Dostoievski said in the Brothers Karamazov, we are all responsible for every one else in this world. We are somehow all connected to one another, perhaps in ways unknown. But we are connected. When my mother died last year, her death acted as a tocin: no one's time on earth is unlimited. If there's still something which one feels must be done, there is no more time to lose. I started to write this blog in another website. Through writing, I discovered another side of  myself, something unknown to me, the strength of my desire to communicate. I was quite surprised too that there are others out there who seem to appreciate what I was doing. Many of my blog articles were translated into Korean, Japanese, French, Chinese and some other European languages. It seems that some people thought it worthwhile to have them translated. Hence I continue. I hope that my blogs will be of some use to someone, somewhere, some time and somehow. Thanks for your sympathetic sharing. May you have a pleasant trip in the PRC!

    回覆刪除
  5. Peter,
    I agree with you when you said, "We should look back not with bitterness nor with self-pity but with an even more magnanimous and noble mind. For life is beautiful if we take it as a gift from heaven! " Self-pity seldom stays more than a few seconds, I knew from a young age it didn't work. But there are feelings hidden deep within our psyche which we repressed for not having to be paralyzed. From time to time, they may be triggered by unexpected external sitmulus. Then for a few moments, we are transported against our will, back to our childhood and re-experience them. But I never allow such negative feelings to stay with me long. They have been partailly exorcised but not completely. It takes time to work on them. But I am fine. Thank you for your advice. .

    回覆刪除