總網頁瀏覽量

2011年11月18日 星期五

A second look at Kowloon Park

According to the Wikipedia, there are about 1.3-1.6 billion Muslims in the world, roughly one fifth of the world's population. Even in Hong Kong, there are many Pakistani watchmen, workers and traders and many Indonesian domestic helpers who follow Islam. How then can we afford to remain completely ignorant what they believe in. Everyone knows about 9.11. It was done by Muslim terrorists. Is that not so? But contrary to what many in Hong Kong and other parts of the world believe,
Islam is not a religion of war. It is a religion of peace. The terrorists are the exception rather than the rule. This is what I learned in the second part of my lessons in Islam at the Mosque at Tsimshatsui last Saturday. I shall write about what I have learned later. But temptation lurks right behind the Mosque and even within the Mosque.  I succumbed. 




Muslims in worship, in meditation or simply sleeping.





Ah! Reflections, my favourite! See how intricate the patterns on the surface of the water are!





Reflections of the surrounding trees and believe it or not, of a building!





Some real flowers! On trees. In yellow. In abundance!





Lower down, on the ground. But no less bold.





Rising, striving, welcoming.





I may be small. I am not simple. Look at those stamens. They are little flowers in their own right!





How could I afford to forget the roses. Also in yellow.





In yellow with a hint of pink.





and about to bloom.





In pink.





In orange.





In bright red.





And in vermilion





Me too, just give me time!





And what shall the flowers do without us?





I'm biding my time too!





What we lack in complexity, we make up by our numbers.





Two other "flowers" waiting to be photographed!





Quietly watching the incoming visitors at the entrance are these little leaves. 





One would have thought that nothing could have come from such old and gnarled tree bark. But how wrong could one be!





And those are not the only ones.





See what I mean?





By comparison, how crude are these human attempts to rival Nature at a fountain at the rear of the park.




But it was time to go!

5 則留言:

  1. I have passed by the mosque thousands of times and always wondered how the interior looks like. Now you have let me have a glimpse of it, thanks to you for your venture. Kowloon Park is beautiful but what a shame that so far I have never set foot there. Will have to do some exploration there some day. Thanks for sharing.
    [版主回覆11/18/2011 11:41:23]They are now offering an introductory course on Islam in both English and Chinese at $100 for the entire course. It starts at 2.30 p.m. every Saturday. All are welcome to join. But you got to take off your shoes when you enter the mosque as a sign of respect and of purity of body.

    回覆刪除
  2. 從未進過那廟宇呢,儘管有點好奇。^_^ 玫瑰拍得很漂亮,讓我回想起去年五月大阪的玫瑰園。
    [版主回覆11/18/2011 11:42:24]It's my first time too. Thanks for the compliments. But my roses can never compare with yours.

    回覆刪除
  3. My colleague took a course about Islam 2 years ago. He did not need to pay a dollar for it.
    [版主回覆11/19/2011 04:51:32]Anyway $100 is hardly anything these days. I was given a copy of the Q'uran, several booklets and some other written materials. Perhaps the $100 is just to cover such expenses.
    [冬夜回覆11/19/2011 01:05:02]I see the ads on Mingpao Daily and tell my colleague. But I foget the name of the institution.
    [版主回覆11/18/2011 23:37:23]Well times may have changed. Is it by the same institution?

    回覆刪除
  4. Interesting experience!
    [版主回覆11/19/2011 10:13:33]It's always interesting to find out what moves others and to sample the little pleasures that life offers.

    回覆刪除
  5. love the last 6th photo (green leaves with blue orange red background colour )
    [版主回覆11/19/2011 23:24:37]Thank you. Hope you are now back in shape.

    回覆刪除