總網頁瀏覽量

2011年7月21日 星期四

Home

Once or twice a year, I return "home" to join my family. What's a home? According to the Wikipedia, a home is "a place of residence or refuge...in which an individual or family can rest and store personal property" but may also refer to the "geographical area, whether...a suburb, town, city or country..in which a person grew up or feels they belong" or a "native habitat" of a wild animal. However, sometimes, there may be no physical location but is " a mental state or emotional refuge or comfort":  home is where the heart is. But there are cultures in which people may lack any permanent homes e.g. nomadic people. Usually, the sense of home " attenuates as one moves away from that point, but it does not do so
in a fixed or regular way." Home for some people is a place which triggers self-reflection: thoughts
about who one is or used to be or who one might become.

I do not consider myself a wild animal. I certainly have a place where I normally live. But it's in Hong Kong, where I grew up and feel I belong. My family live elsewhere: in a suburban town in America. To the extent that I move constantly between Hong Kong and America, I must be a "nomad". Do I do self-reflection? All the time! But not necessarily at "home". I can do so at my office, in a  restaurant, in the underground, a bus, a minibus, a taxi , a ferry, a plane or even whilst walking in the streets. Where do I get emotional refuge or comfort? Everywhere and nowhere! So where is home? It's so difficult for me to say. But I'll try. As in so many other cases, it'll probably make life much easier if I were to do so through some photographs.

To me, at least whilst my head and my heart are still fired by my recently contracted "fever" for photography, "home" may well be a place where I can play around with the  effects of light and shade on my digital camera without having to budge more than eight feet.

Whilst I was thus in my provisional American "home" and totally to my surprise, I got a fantastic opportunity to  witness the play of light upon the wall of my sitting room right before my very eyes as the sun rose every morning. The light in this case came through the window and the door to the verandah of my small apartment and depending upon the time of day, from slightly different angles.

The totally unrpedictable light would seem to have a will all its own. It would stream in and stage various light shows upon the wall next to my breakfast table and on the light colored floor carpet! As the sun rose higher or the light flickered through first the constantly changing shapes and thickness of the clouds, then the crevices between the tree leaves a little distance from our house and then through the tiny slits between the horizontal blades of the venetian blinds over the windows and finally the shapes of various objects inside my house in the  path of light between the windows and/or the verandah door and my breakfast table.   The shapes would then be blown up or distorted depending on the relevant angle at which the light streamed through the various intervening objects and the distance between the objects obstructing its passage and the make shift "screen" formed by the wall next to my breakfast table and some other walls in the sitting room.

Every morning, I couldn't wait for the show to begin, with my cheap digital camera resting on my breakfast table, permanently switched "on", to abide my chance to "capture" moments of such transient "miracles" of light before they vanished forever with the ticking of the seconds. But it was really fun.






Some of the patterns forming on the wall next to my breakfast table.







The shapes falling on the wall next to the my bedroom entrance from the light filtering  through and perhaps refracted or disfracted by the tiny crystals or air bubbles within the glass pane of the verandah door





The almost "magical" effect of the play of light upon the wall next to my breakfast table as it flickered through the tree leaves and then as refracted through the glass pane of the verandah door. They were constantly shifting from second to second. It was a real delight to watch the fascinating wave-like lines of light as if they were the aurora borealis around the earth's polar regions except that they were not tinted green and blue like as the polar lights. I could look at them forever.














The various patterns formed on the carpet from the play of light as it passed through the venetian blinds and then got obstructed by the curved back of a chair close to the window or the underside of our breakfast table.



The shadows formed on the carpet as light streamed through the the slit of verandah door and the edge of the curtain..



Another pattern formed by the light passing through the verandah door.

Isn't photography fun IF one is ready for it???!!!

10 則留言:

  1. Good morning, my dear old friend!  ...exciting images!  ...However, I'm not qualified to make comments on photography,    but only on how I feel: I am excited... ..." Exciting adventures in light and shades...        Adventures in the eyes of the beholder,         In sight of the nature, and in the ambient ,          Light on and off,            And you keep searching the source of light,             Shades here, there and everywhere..."       








    [版主回覆07/21/2011 08:07:00]Yes, finding plays of ight and shadows when one does not expect it can be exciting! Thanks for the video clip.

    回覆刪除
  2. Elzorro 今晚 6 千萬美夢 ... 去扮阿星 啦  原來影影都咁得意咁靚
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 08:55:00]Yes, you never know what the play of light will bring. They are the result of the chance encounter of the sun, the clouds, the trees, the glass on the glass door and the window pane, the translucent curtain, the Venetian blinds and various objects which interfere with the "normal" propagation of light! You can have fun too with your own camera!

    回覆刪除
  3. It's wonderful to see your pictures.
    The interwined lights and shadows are so beautiful and I am sure that you can capture more attractive photos with your talents.  Longing for more photos in the near future !

    [版主回覆07/21/2011 10:00:00]Thank you for your compliments and your confidence in me. I hope that will not be misplaced. I will certainly keep trying to do my best not to disappoint. But don't have any too high expectations. After all, I have only just started seriously to play around with my cheap digital camera within the last three months, trying to do some of the things I see you and Michelle doing. I'm still trying to grope my way forward, bit by bit. I can see that the way ahead is long and hard and I got a stiff learning curve!.

    回覆刪除
  4. It's really fun to capture the light via the camera...
    It's wonderful to see your photos.
    Looking forward to having more...
     
     
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 09:47:00]Yes, it can be fun. But when you don't get anything after a long wait, you can feel not a little frustrated too. But then, we are not supposed to have anything to start with in the first place. It's pure chance, as so many things in life. So that thought helps. Thanks for the encouragement. I will do my best to keep my eyes open and my heart young.

    回覆刪除
  5. I am glad that at long last your camera has brought out the Peter Pan from your heart. As the headline in my Blog front page goes: 一事能狂便少年 . Go for it.
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 17:29:00]
    Has Peter Pan ever really died? Does Peter Pan need a time, a place and a friend before he can really fly and sprinkle angel's dust during the night? Do we really need to be "mad" or "crazy" to feel young again? Is it inevitable that freedom necessitate "excess"? Can we allow the child in us to come out to play without giving in completely to our every one of our childish wishes?
     

    回覆刪除
  6. Amid the fascination of light taking various artistic forms, the presence of the holy picture and the book is a pleasant surprise!
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 17:27:00]Yes, in the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God. The Word was God. Where is God now, I wonder. Within the covers of a book about him lying quietly on the breakfast table? And the Holy Mother? On the wall? Or only in Lourdes? In our minds and our hearts? Whose minds? Whose hearts? Is something more real if it is in our mind or in our heart? What is heart? What is mind? Does it matter?

    回覆刪除
  7. Peter Pan has never died. He lives in everyone’s heart only to be locked up by one’s worldly cares. It’s up to us to unlock our heart and let the playful boy fly. 狂 is not craze nor madness in your sense but “ecstasy”. Never let your physical age label you as “old”. Let Peter Pan fly along with your spiritual “youth”.
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 18:27:00]Thanks for your advice, my friend. " 狂" can bear your peculiar twist on its sense as well but it's not the only way one can interpret that Chinese word. My body may not be as strong as it was. My spirit has not shown any signs of aging yet. Long may it stay that way. 

    回覆刪除
  8. We always confine the meaning of the word 狂 to its literal sense (mad and crazy).   In a poetic sense, it’s ecstasy. I remember having replied to 超哥 in one of my earlier blogs regarding 狂 . Here’s a recap:
     
    「狂」該是我對整體人生的取態 . 年老不是肉身上的衰敗 , 而是精神上的頹廢 . 我對世事一貫抱着好奇之心 , 總想永遠保留一雙赤子的眼睛 , 把世界看個夠 , 才不枉來人間走一回 . 做人帶幾分狂態方能專心投入 , 方能盡情 . 「一回酒渴思吞海, 幾度詩 狂 欲上天 」 , 狂便是創作的泉源 . 因此我取「一事能狂便少年」作敝 blog 之楣題 . 此句出自清詩人王國維之<曉步> : 「興來隨意步南阡,夾道垂楊相帶妍。萬木沉酣新雨後,百昌蘇醒曉風前。四時可愛唯春日, 一事能 狂 便少年 。我與野鷗申後約,不辭旦旦冒寒煙。」
    [版主回覆07/21/2011 23:33:00]Thanks for the cultural history of the word!

    回覆刪除
  9. 光的照射是沒有意願不意願,  影子是因為物象的移動而有所改變\ ,,
    光,  只是將物象的變化投放吧 ...
    家 ,, 或者說,  是愛的投映和立杆所在 ~~
    [版主回覆07/24/2011 09:37:00]You are right. We must look with love at our own home before it will reveal its beauty to us!

    回覆刪除
  10. Wow! pictures are full of artistry.
    [版主回覆07/24/2011 09:40:00]I just happened to notice them whilst I was reading. If you find them artistic, it is Nature who is so!

    回覆刪除