總網頁瀏覽量

2012年12月25日 星期二

My First Visit to Kiu Tsui (初到橋咀)


It's been quite a while since I first heard of the name of Kiu Tsui in Sai Kung. But I 've never been there, not even once and have absolutely no idea what it might look like. My recent visit to Yim Tin Tsai rekindled my interest in that place. I saw a placard along one of the several stalls lining the broadwalk along the seaside of Sai Kung harbour advertising a rather cheap trip there: $20 per head. So I decided to give it a go the Sunday just before Christmas eve.


There is a new park just in front of the broadwalk now. They got some interesting ideas: paper boats which I am sure all of us learned to fold as children but now  turned into artwork.



I was lucky. The sun was shining, giving a sheen to the fan like leaves of the ferns at that small park.



The ferry soon started. A speed boat was hurtling along the surface of the water under the cloudless sky.



In less than 30 minutes, I was already on the island. I found an abandoned boat turned upside down on the beach.,



and patterns on the corrugated zinc sheets outside a beach-side shed



the underside of what used to be the support of the roof of a pavilion



Some bricks in front of an abandoned wooden rack serving as support of the feet outside a raised hut?



An abandoned machine under the sun.



the side of another abandoned fibreglass boat



I caught this young photographer with his girlfriend/wife concentrating on taking a photo of the other end of the tombolo which one could access from the beach by walking through some reefs at low tide



A young family taking time off to enjoy a bit of sea air



Some crumpled up rubberised canvas sheets lying about on the beach. Perhaps used as a boat cover when needed? 



As it's winter, there were fallen leaves everywhere.



Some abandoned metal pipes chained together to prevent stealing



A common plant with half-flowers said to be two lovers which one often finds near beaches.



The leaf of the what is commonly called "Big-Leaf Tree" under the sun, You'll find this kind of tree close to beaches all the time.
.



The underside of another one of those roof support for a pavilion I found earlier



A fallen flower I found close to that abandoned pavilion roof



I tried to walk around the beach. But all the paths seemed overgrown and I had to turn back and found this old stump along one side of the beach.



When I doubled back, I found this pair of pants hung outside one of the corrugated zinc sheds



I tried to walk around the island from the other end of the beach and found this abandoned metal frame but I was no luckier on the other side because all the paths there were equally if not more overgrown with spiked creepers impossible to pass.



Found this plastic water bottle at the side of an LCSD beach food and beverage kiosk on the other beach on the island



the window of that kiosk looking built like those one finds on a ship's cabin



The island is one of the smallest country parks in Hong Kong. On the island, we find eroded basalt boulders along the beach . Their surface are cracked like the top of our "pineapple bun".



The pebble and shingle beach on the other side of the island where the cracked pine-apple bun basalt is found.



The beach was full of all kinds of shells, complete, eroded or broken.



Some shells I found. Their shapes are most peculiar. This one looks like a Mexican sombrero.



These are purple colored



This one was probably washed up one of the rocks.



It was quite late by the time I left the island. A view of the ferry pier.



A chair I found on the way back to the pier



And some canoes inside a cage



A lookout point beside the pier


A final look at the beach


The sun was setting



A couple sharing the ride back.

3 則留言:

  1. Once upon a time I paddled a paper boat to Kiu Tsui and left my pants hanging outside a corrugated zinc shed...
    [版主回覆12/27/2012 23:33:46]I am sure you had a wonderful time at Kiu Tsui with your pants off ! Just wondering who the lucky lady might be ?

    回覆刪除
  2. Some of the shots remind me of the paintings of the abstractionists.
    [版主回覆12/28/2012 23:15:51]Mark Rothko, Clyfford Still?

    回覆刪除
  3. I was planning to go there on Boxing Day but changed my mind in the last moment. The island seems quite different from what I think of it but you have captured a lot of vibrant colours of the island. It is an unusually quiet place on a Sunday afternoon.
    [版主回覆01/01/2013 08:24:56]You're right. But because of the overgrown condition of the paths, there's not much one can do. If you want to walk over to the other end of the tombolo, better consult the tide table of the Observatory first. It can be quite relaxing to sit on the beach and get a bit of sun.

    回覆刪除