總網頁瀏覽量

2013年11月5日 星期二

Roaming Tai Tung (漫遊大東)

Tai Tung Shan must be one of the highest mountains in Hong Kong. I first went there years and years ago. But it has never lost its fascination for me. So from time to time, I would pay it a revisit for a bit of exercise and to jog my memory of the happy times I spent with an old friend who used to roam the mountains and countryside of Hong Kong with me and who has since left for the country of the maple leaves. I really don't know when he'll be back and have a drink with me for old times sake. But one can't really live in the past. As the weather in October was cool and dry, I chose a steep path: from Tung Chung straight up the mid-mountain trail. I was in for a surprise.




Just as I was walking up the steps which would eventually lead to the mountain path, I was greeted by this huge worm. I have seen lots and lots of worms in my trekking. But never once had I ever laid eyes upon a worm so big! Not only that, it was so hairy! And so colorful too. Is it a kind of caterpillar? Or just a worm?


I found these little curls upon a mountain fern. I like its color and its strength. 


The mountain side was full of these little purple berries. Since they're so brightly colored, they're probably poisonous. On top of that, their condition wasn't the best. So no point taking a bite to try and see how it tasted.


What's that? That's what I saw as I lay on the grass looking at the passing clouds in a break after my barbecued pork bun lunch. The branches of a wild plant against the bag containing the discarded baking paper at the bottom of the bun I just sent into my mouth and which I had to dispose of when I found a rubbish bin. That's what being crazy about photography does to you!


And at my side, I found these strings of rush flower or is it seeds?


And these hairy leaves of a wild plant


Although it's autumn. That doesn't seem to bother some of the plants. They keep on pushing new leaves. 


And leaves growing close to the source of water can retain their huge shape
 

But not these hardy but small mountain flowers. Small probably because there's simply not enough sap of life to support huge petals in this kind of dry weather?


There were just hills after rolling hills

 
Clouds are fascinating. They seldom stay in the same shape for long


These certainly look as if they would like to mimic the shape of the hills around me


This one looks a bit like a dinosaur turning its head around to check out its own tail


The mountain top was full of rushes like these, whole patches and patches of them


They cover the valleys and the roundish hill tops


But how steep the sides of the mountain on the way down!


The bus stop at Nam Shan, where my journey ends


But not these leaves: their journey will continue until they reach the end of their allotted lifespan. In the meantime, they do their best to hang on for as long as possible, no matter what.     

沒有留言:

張貼留言