總網頁瀏覽量

2012年7月3日 星期二

Li Houzhu or Li Yu's "Happy to Meet" 李後主 (李煜) 之《相見歡》

A blog friend has just asked me to promise to do for him the Chinese translation of the lyrics of Li Houzhu 李後主 or Li Yu (李煜)'s "Happy to Meet"  《相見歡》, apparently because he loves it. Though I'm not sure I am at all adequate to this task, I figure that there should no harm my trying. If it doesn't do anything else, it would at least have made my friend happy. For me, that's good enough. So here it goes










相見歡                         
林花謝了春紅,太匆匆,     

無奈朝來寒雨晚來風。   
胭脂淚相留醉,幾時重?

自是人生長恨水長東。        


Happy to Meet
Forest flowers just shed the red of spring ,
far too hasty
Powerless against the morning's cold rains and the
evening's winds
.       
Tears on rouge, retaining each other’s drunkenness, when 's the repeat?

Surely life always regrets and rivers always
run east
.  (tr. El Zorro)






 Li  Houzhu (李後主) (literally "The Latter Lord
Li") (937–978), is more formally known as Southern Tang's late lord (南唐後主) was born Li Yu (李煜), and posthumously known as Prince of Wu (吳王), was the last ruler of the
Southern Tang Kingdom from 961 to 975 during the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period (五代十國) (actually more than 10 nations) and is more famous as a poet than as a king. When he ascended the throne, the Northern Song Dynasty (北宋) had already begun and he had been asked several times to submit to its rule but refused on the pretext that he was ill, until 974, when his capital, today's Nanjing, was invaded whereupon he surrendered. He was given the nominal title as the Count of Wei Ming (違命侯) of the equivalent of today's western Shanxi province with its capital at today's Kaifeng (開封) but was in fact subject to solitary confinement and was later poisoned by Song Taizong  (宋太宗) out of jealousy for his literary talents when he wrote a poem lamenting the demise of his former kingdom and the rape of his his second by the Song emperor. It is believed that originally he kept a collection of all his works but only 44 of such lyrics survived to today of which only about 30 are thought to be written by him. He is a real master of the Shi (ci) lyric form (辭), which is meant to be sung, not simply read a literary form especially developed in the Song Dynasty. He developed the ci
(辭), form by broadening its scope to cover not only love but also history and philosophy, particularly in his later works. He also introduced the two stanza form, and made great use of contrasts between longer lines of nine characters and shorter ones of three and five. He was a devout Buddhist and was against all forms of killing. When the Song army arrived at his capital, he was at a monastery chanting prayers.

There's also another poem with the same title.

相見歡                                  Happy to Meet                                                                

無言獨上西樓,月如鉤。    Silently going up the West Mansion alone, the moon like a hook。        
寂寞梧桐深院鎖清秋。        Solitary phoenix trees locking in deep autumn.
剪不斷,理還亂,是離愁, No clean cuts, chaos despite ordering, t'was the sadness of farewell,
別有一般滋味在心頭。        A special kind of feeling within the heart. (tr. El Zorro)

3 則留言:

  1. Great translation!


    李後主這兩首《相見歡》,表面上都是寫相思離別,其實是表達自已“故國之戀”、“亡國之痛”的情感。「林花謝了春紅」本是自然循環的正常現象,但是看在愁人眼中,總不免有好景不常、良辰苦短的感嘆,「太匆匆」即這種感嘆的心裏表白。「無奈朝來寒雨晚來風」一句,則是道盡愁中加愁的因由:春花不能久存,已足令人心煩意亂,偏又必須承受朝晚風雨的侵襲。於是原本心煩意亂的情緒,一下子變成了心碎神傷。
    [版主回覆07/04/2012 12:40:23]You're absolutely right. When one is a prisoner under constant surveillance, one can only use ambiguous language to express how one truly feels!

    回覆刪除
  2. My chemotherapy has made me very uncomfortable for a few days and unable to check the iPad. So I miss your this post! I think it's your master of the simple words o both languages makes you so at ease. Only a few sentences and the spirrit and essence were rendered perfectly. Your writings are things to learn from.
    [版主回覆07/16/2012 12:53:34]The will to survive is all important. Once we lose that, we'll have lost all. So courage, my friend!
    [pinkpanther501101回覆07/16/2012 12:42:07]There is one more complication, probably owing to pleural effusion, I lose large amount of blood. I now suffer from anemia. I received two blood transfusions and the condition is somewhat better. If I remain weak, it will be difficult to continue chemo. Up to now I am not suffering much and still upbeat because my nephew is around to keep an eye on me. I would not let my family and friends down.
    [版主回覆07/15/2012 20:45:21]Sorry to hear about the effects of your chemo. I understand that after a chemo, one would feel tired, weak and is often affected by nausea which creates a feeling that one wants to vomit. It will last for up to a week but if one stick it out and try not to think about it by concentrating our mind on other things than the body's reaction, that may help.

    回覆刪除
  3. 自是人生長恨水長東
    [版主回覆08/14/2012 13:35:12]Those are the hardest to leave!
    [pinkpanther501101回覆08/14/2012 11:37:48]I am not thinking of myself. I am thinking of my family and friends. I just don't want to leave them.
    [版主回覆08/14/2012 11:28:59]The rivers in China may run east. But life's not all regrets. Good times too! Just that we must learn to treasure what's good without longing that they should last forever. That's being too greedy!

    回覆刪除