總網頁瀏覽量

2010年12月19日 星期日

Celebration of the Body

This Sunday is rather unusual. I did not read anything except a number of menus. The menus were those of a restaurant recommended to me by a friend. It was a restaurant with a fairly long history. It goes by the name of Cova. It is claimed that it was first established in 1817, in Milan. According to a booklet I got, Cova was originally opened at the corner of the Piazza della Scala, the famous Italian opera house, for pastries and cappucino before or after the show. It has already established a presence in Hong Kong in the form of various "Pasticceria-Confetteria Boutiques" in Prince's Building, Pacific Place, Lee Gardens, World Trade Centre, Devon House, Ocean Centre, Festival Walk, New Town Plaza and Centro-Alexandra House. They have now also associated "Caffe-Ristorantes"  next to some of their boutiques (little shops). .


I went to the one in Alexandra House. Though I work in the building just five minutes away, I have never been to this restaurant. When I wanted some good European food, I usually went  to Jimmy's Kitchen or for Itailian food, to Va Beni in Lan Kwai Fong. Perhaps the cakes and patisserie of Cova can be made en masse but I don't think the food at the restaurants can be done similarly. I do not know if the chefs are equally good in all the restaurants carrying that name and I have no idea if it runs as a franchise and if so, how good is its quality control. I suppose that because of its location, the chef in Central should not be too bad. I did not order anything fancy. I just had their special lunch for Sunday. 


The cafe restaurant was rather small, not more than a dozen tables, all arranged close to the plate glass railing at the northern side of the 2nd floor opposite to the Prince's Building.  Because it was not more than 30 feet from the side of the buiilding, one can enjoy the natural sunlight streaming in through the glass wall outside. The decor was simple: white linen instead of the red and white or green and white checkers that you find in some traditional Italian restaurants. To make the straight lines and featureless glass and steel a little more human, they had two waiter counters in dark oak wood with corrugated lines over which were placed some flowers. The monotony of the rows of tables was broken only by a row of lamps next to the glass railing with rectangular metal aluminium stands with fairly geometrically circular lamp shades. To reduce the feeling of mechanical coldness, the lamp shades were in ivory fabric of a rough texture. It was comfortable and quiet. From my seat, I could see two Christmas trees, one big, one small looking aligned in a row as if they had been specially placed there for asymmetry and the frames of the window in the middle divided the surface of the glass into a number of bigger or smaller rectangles from where I was sitting so that it looked like some of those abstract paintings of Paul Klee or those of Mondrian but with colourful images appearing enclosed within or in front of such rectangles when  in fact, it's just an accidental effect. The big one was on the floor below about maybe 15 feet away and the small one was outside the entrance to the Prince's building diagonally opposite! But accidental or not, the alignment of the big and small Christmas trees in a row with its decorations was quite pleasant.I like the way a silver paper band  glittered with the movement of the winter breeze in the sunlight on top of that little Christmas tree outside the tiny entrance of Princes Building. It was really beautiful. 


Suddenly I got the urge to write something. I asked the waiter for some paper and a pen. After consulting the captain, they gave me some tiny menus with a fairly large space but they were far too small, measuring maybe 4 inches by 3.  So I told the waiter I needed something bigger. He went back and actually brought me something rather more suitable for writing. It was the back of a foolscap paper in which they ordered various labels, cards, ribbons, wrapping paper, bags etc used by the restaurant ie. their stationery purchase list. I saw a beautifully prepared Christmas menu, in the form of a booklet with a cloth-like textured thick cover with words printed in thick carved gold on its cover. It was really beautiful. I asked if I could take it because I wanted to write something about the experience. The captain said I could. I then asked if I could take the menu for the special lunch that I ordered to save me writing out all those Italian words whose meanings I could only guess using my knowledge of French and Spanish. But he said that he did not have sufficient so he could not let me have it. I said it was OK. It's not as if I must have it. Really nice people. I asked the pretty waitress how long they had been there. She said they had moved there from Chater House for three years already. I had been to their shop at Prince's Building before but I never knew they had a cafe-restaurant in Alexandra House.


For their Special Lunch, I had a choice of Antipasto All'italiana( Italian pre-meal pastry /Zuppa del Giorno (soup of the day) which is pea soup. The first plate was Aragosta (lobster) with two choices: Spaghetti All'aragosta Pourdno (?)Basilo Fasco (Spaghetti with lobster and rich base ) or Linguini with cherry tomato salsa (sauce)  and basil or alternatively Risotto con Arogosta Champagn Arborir (countryside tree?) risotto (or Italian open fire cooked rice with country style lobster with cherry tomato sauce or Arrossi di Carne, (or roast meat) in spiced butter sauce or Pesce Forces del Sapor Mediterranean ( Halibut with Meditarranean flavor) and for dessert, I had a choice of Torta (cake), Gelato (Icecream) or Caffe/Tea. I had the linguini and halibut. I did not want the soup because pea soup tastes rather flat nor did I want the icecream (too fat) or coffee because I already had one in the morning. The first and second dishes were good but not particularly so. I like the linguini though, because it was cooked not too soft and not too raw. There was a chewiness to the pasta which I had seldom experienced but the sauce was a little bit too light for my taste and the baked cheese was rolled into a lump. The halibut was not the freshest but it was alright. There was at least some springiness to the flesh. Again the taste was very light but I liked the butter sauce . Smelt really good. But I had to put in lots of ground black pepper. And they could certainly have the food a bit warmer. But the service was good. For the starter, I was offered some bread, crackers, cheesticks. I like the basil bread and the cheesesticks best. The cheesticks were really fluffy and crunchy at the same time and you can feel the smell and taste of the cheese. I told the waiter if I could have more. Originally, I had four. He brought me another four. In fact, I liked it so much that when I left, I bought another 200 grams for $65.00. I like the dessert best. I was a Neapolitan cake: a three layer pastry with strawberry and cream and creamy vanilla sauce. Really delicious. The pastry is good, very fluffy. The portion was not big but it was already too big for me. The meal was not cheap. Nor was it expensive. I felt full even when I was swimming later. The bill including tips came to $320 and I got a glass of sweet red sparkling house wine. I had sparkling white wine before like Champagne. But it was the first time that I had a sparkling red wine. It tasted rather sweet. I tipped more because of the service. It was a very pleasant and leisurely lunch.


After the lunch, I did some grocery and then went on a hike as the weather was excellent. I took the MTR to Shaukiwan and then took a minibus to Big Wave Bay and from there I climbed a couple of hundred steps to the top of the Jardine Lookout. It gave a magnficent view of the Bay and the sea beyond. There were some waves. From the outermost to the innermost, I could see a total of 5 wave heads, each higher than the previous with a distance of some 10 to 15 feet between each. No wonder there were more than 20 surfers. I like the colour of the sea with the sunlight which flickered upon the water like liquid gold. I'm so pleased I only made one stop along the way up and just for enjoying the spectauclar view of the beautiful sea, the clear blue sky and the distant islands and not out of need. The bones and muscles still seem serviceable! I really don't know how long they would stay that way!


I had never walked this route from the Big Wave Bay end. I could go to Quarry Bay or Chai Wan but I was lucky. Ahead of me were two ladies with 5 poodles. I asked which one of them which would be the shortest route because I did not want to tire myself too much as I was expecting to swim later in the evening. They told me they were going to Siu Sai Wan. I never took this route before. So they told me to follow them. I did. It was really short. The whole journey took only about 50 minutes. I could go down Chai Wan of course. If I did, they told me it would probably be about 10 minutes or so longer. But I had already taken that route before, but starting from Chai Wan end, near Cape Collinson. So I tried out this new route. It was quite an easy walk. I started at about 4.30 p.m. and by 6 p.m. I was already home by taking the express route 788 bus which the ladies told me about. It runs along the Eastern Corridor. There were not very many people taking the trek route. For the whole journey, I did not see more than 20 people, both ways! It was a very pleasant walk with a magnficent view of the sea. It was not very strenuous. Really worth doing.  Now I know what to do when I want another short hike. 


In the evening, I went swimming again. I left the house at about 8.20 p.m., arrived at the Morrison Hill Pools around 8.35 p.m. and swam until 9.45 p.m. It was even better than last week because there were even fewer people at the pool. You don't have to swim a few strokes and then stop or swerve to avoid bumping into other's head or other parts of their bodies especially those of ladies when it could be very troublesome if the other party is unreasonable. It was a really good swim. This time I did 22 laps, two more than last week. Like the past week, all my nose slime disappeared without a trace and breathing was such a delight again. After the swim and the hot shower, I could walk with a spring in my steps. It feels really good to be doing exercises. Today is a day I devoted all my time to my body: first the meal and then the hike and finally the swim. No reading at all! And it's good, for the body any way. A day of celebration of the body! According to Christian theology, the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit!


10 則留言:

  1. sounds like a good day to me ! i have been to cova several times while i was in HK, for tea buffet mostly.  i sant imgine how you can travel without a little notebook with you. although i have the same experience. the day i wanted to travel light ( i usually have jansport rugsack with me) , i took nothing with me but the essentials, keys, phone, wallet and travel card. however, i went to the museums, inspired by what i was looking at, ideas just kept popping into the head. such a need to write it down a.s.a.p..... got poor memories these days. Rush to the souvenir shop, found a notebook. cost me £8.....oouch !!! perhaps next time i should rush to the restaurant instead....
    [版主回覆12/20/2010 08:26:00]I usually carry a computer bag with me. But it's Sunday and I had just finished the Sunday mass at the Cathedral. I did not expect to write. It was the peculiar alignment of the two Christmas tree which triggered my urge to write something. You're right, if you don't write something down, the thoughts would be gone and you'd have a difficult time to recall what you were thinking at that moment.
    You must meet the right kind of guys at the restaurant if you want writing materials from a waiter! I was just lucky.

    回覆刪除
  2. i once ask for a deck of serviettes, i got my own own pen though ! sometimes it is so strange that something just trigger your mind the urge to write. thus i like travelling on buses that i can observe, and sometimes minor things can set my imagination off..... i need to start going out after being sick for the past fortnight. snowing here in london, heathrow and gatwick airports are closed. just a few inches of snow can put the city in halt. 
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 17:15:00]
    What sets off our mind along certain lines of thinking are things which happen right before our eyes. An idea occurred which we subjectively thought was worth remembering and then we began to feel uneasy until we got it down on paper. Yes, after staying inside a house for a fortnight, one will really feel an irresistible urge to go out! Anything but being boxed in. One would suffocate if one does not go out any more!
    I think I know how it feels. During Chinese New Year time when I'm alone in Hong Kong, I would read and read and read and listen to music but after two days of doing that, I would really feel the urge simply to leave the house, no matter what! Maybe some fresh air, a stroll by deserted Central harborfront, to get another look of a quiet and dead Central etc. or a hike in the mountains or the Saikung area. It's a terrible strain to feel being wrapped within oneself all the time.

    回覆刪除
  3. 很詳盡的日記啊! 這麼凍的天氣, 當然少人游泳.
    別說中西分別, 我覺得住香港的人與住九龍的人也有很大分別, 相信你也感受到. 
    [版主回覆12/20/2010 10:39:00]The Pool at Morrison Hill is a heated pool. It can be a bit chilly just before you enter the water but then once you are in motion, you don't really feel it. It's good to exercise. If there is any difference, perhaps that's because Kowloon is more crowded and people tend to behave less politely when they are under stress. It is understandable. 

    回覆刪除
  4. “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. Glad that you took time to indulge yourself this way once in a while. It’s not just a celebration of the body, but also nourishment for the mind!
    Yes, we all have this experience of asking for a piece of paper to jot down our passing thoughts on occasions like this. I have now developed the habit of always bringing along a small note book (available at 日本城 , a pack of 3 or 5 for just $10 depending on size), two ball-pens (in case one runs out of ink) and a small digital camera , the indispensable paraphernalia for any “writing” person who wants to capture every flitting moment of thoughts and images.
    If you appreciate the ambience of a restaurant as well as its cuisine, try Gaddi’s at the Kowloon Peninsular. You will like the serenity and the décor, a place where you can enjoy a quiet afternoon lunch. However, there is a price to pay: a table d'hôte is around $500+, but ordering À la carte can be very expensive (just a starter is around $300+, and a main course around $700-$800+, etc. and that does not include wine.) I still miss Jimmy’s Kitchen where I had Christmas dinner a few times. So it’s still around.
     
     
    [版主回覆12/20/2010 12:07:00]Yes, I must take along a small "Pak Chi Bo"" and have a pen by me and buy another cheapie digital camera to take down photos so I don't always have to rely on that portable camera I carry upon my shoulder which is not fitted with telelenses and whose memory stick is at the best of times unreliable!

    回覆刪除
  5. You know how to celebrate your body and you know how to celebrate your life too.  You know the best used of your time.
    You are a wonderful pleasant man ...
    [版主回覆12/20/2010 22:47:00]Thank you for your compliments. But I don't think I deserve them. I just do what I think may be good. That's all. I feel I am just a very lucky guy. Everyone seems to be very very nice to me. I don't really know why. I have no cause for complaint about anything. If there is a God or gods I really must thank Him/them.

    回覆刪除
  6. Because you are a kind man ~
    [版主回覆12/20/2010 22:59:00]Yes, I try to be nice to people too. I am not doing anything extra. So many other people are like that. But they are not as lucky as I am. Maybe I live a charmed life. Somehow, some angels or spirits want to protect me, if they exist at all. But you are a very kind person too!

    回覆刪除
  7. wow, what a beautiful sunday,and the kind  people you have met, my admiration.
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 00:09:00]You are one of the kind people too. You're visiting me now.  Isn't that not kind?  I'm just lucky. I always run into kind people all the time! I feel so blessed!

    回覆刪除
  8. i like Peter's idea, the little notebooks from japan city, though i prefer those from Muji ( i think 博樂 will agree with me !)  also the cafe in peninsula. where i used to have coffee. ( when daddy was still around)  next time when i return HK , i shall join you and peter  in peninsula... jimmy's kitchen, still there? been there many times in my childhood.
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 06:55:00]Yes I agree Peter's idea is good.
    It'd be nice to meet the author of those wonderful photos, poems  and videos. But you must give Peter your contact details. Why don't we invite your friend 博樂 too? It'd be fun. When do you think you'd be returning?
    Yes, Jimmy's Kitchen is still around. In fact just across the street from where I work.

    回覆刪除
  9. absolutely agree with 小齊
    i love Muji ...
    Pennisula ... seems that there are too many people now and i still prefer Cova  
    Jimmy's kitchen, is it the one near 上海總會 ?
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 17:20:00]Haven't been to the Peninsula for a long time now. So I wouldn't know how it is there nowadays.
    Yes, Jimmy's Kitchen which used to be at Entertainment House, has moved to South China Building in Peddar Street above which is the  上海總會.

    回覆刪除
  10. i shall think seriously of my return. would love to have tea or coffee with all of you....do we need a rose or a newpaper?? 
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 19:03:00]Roses for the lady and sunny smiles for the men! Newspaper?? For fish and chips!? Somehow the cod tastes better if wrapped by the Sun!

    回覆刪除