總網頁瀏覽量

2010年12月30日 星期四

Gibran's Song of Love XXIV

I don't believe there is any one in this world who does not dream of love. Love fascinates. Love drives people crazy. Love is used as a trap for the unawary. Love sells. Love is in every pop song which describe its excitement, its joys, its ecstasy, its hopes, its sorrows, its losses, its despair, its worries and its memories. Love is on the lips of the pastor, the priest, the rabbi, the monk, the saints, the mystics, the therapist. Some say the world is created by love. Others say that the world is moved by love. Yet how many people know about what that word means. If there is any one in this world who may be more qualified than some of the others to talk about the different faces of love, then Khalil Gibran must be one of them. He was loved by a famous female poet Mary Haskell who became his patron and helped him in his career and to whom he proposed but was rejected. He also fell in love with a beautiful and impulsive French girl Emilie Michel for a short while in 1904 .He carried on a Platonic relationship with May Ziadah another Arab poet for almost the entirely of his short adult life by corresponding with her for more than 30 years and only occasionally meeting her. 


Gibran's message to the world is: "let love, human and frail, command the coming day.". To him, love is a something uplifitng, holistic and spiritual. It is a "sacred mystery" that remains "forever wordless" and a path which may lead us to self-discovery and self-fulfilment. It is something rapturous and ecstatic but is inextricably bound to pain, suffering and sorrow. It is not a simple emotion and knows only how to obey its own laws. But let him speak for himself and let's hear what he has to say in one of his poems, "Song of Love XXIV"


                                  Song of Love XXIV


                      I am the lover's eyes, and the spirit's


                      Wine, and the heart's nourishment.


                      I am a rose. My heart opens at dawn and


                      The virgin kisses me and places me


                      Upon her breast.


 


                      I am the house of true fortune, and the


                      Origin of pleasure, and the beginning


                      Of peace and tranquility. I am the gentle


                      Smile upon his lips of beauty. When youth


                      Overtakes me he forgets his toil, and his


                      Whole life becomes reality of sweet dreams.


 


                      I am the poet's elation,


                       And the artist's revelation,


                       And the musician's inspiration.


 


                       I am a sacred shrine in the heart of a


                       Child, adored by a merciful mother.


 


                        I appear to heart's cry; I shun a demand;


                        My fullness pursues the heart's desire;


                        It shuns the empty claim of the voice.


 


                        I appeared to Adam and Eve


                        And exile was his lot;


                        Yet I revealed myself to Solomon,and


                        He drew wisdom from my presence.


 


                        I smiled at Helena and she destroyed Tarwada;


                        Yet I crowned Cleopatra and peace dominated


                        The Valley of the Nile.


 


                        I am like the ages--building today


                        And destroying tomorrow;


                        I am like a god, who creates and ruins;


                        I am sweeter than a violet's sigh;


                        I am more violent than a raging tempest.


 


                         Gifts do not entice me;


                         Parting does not discourage me;


                          Poverty does not chase me;


                          Jealousy does not prove my awareness;


                           Madness does not evidence my presence.


 


                           Of seekers, I am Truth, beseeching Truth;


                           And your Truth in seeking and receiving


                           And protecting me shall determine my


                           Behavior.


If we may summarize his ideas of love in the poem, we may discover that:


1. Love is something entirely human and subjective. It depends on the eyes of the lover.


2. Love helps our spirit to mature.


3. Love is a source of pleasure.


4. Love is a source of peace and tranquility


5. Love helps us forget our pains and sufferings.


6. Love is the stuff of dreams. 


7. Love makes the poet happy.


8. Love is an endless subject for discovery by the artist


9. Love inspires the musician


10. Love is what a child craves for and what the mother gives


11. Love must be be freely given in response to a cry for love and can never be demanded as a right


12.  One loves not by empty words but by deeds


13.  Love was the cause of the downfall of Adam


14.  Love can be a source of wisdom


15.  Love has acted in history to bring peace.


16. Love involves both creation and destruction: it destroys as well as builds and can be both tender and violent.


17. Love is untouched by poverty nor lured by wealth nor destroyed by separation.


18. Jealousy is not love.


19. People seek love as their Truth


20. Our behavior in seeking, receiving, protecting Love determines our destiny.


7 則留言:

  1. Dear Elzorro, Happy New Year!













    [版主回覆12/31/2010 10:02:00]Thank you so much for your two beautiful glittering glasses of good wishes. I wish you another healthy, productive and happy year!

    回覆刪除
  2. 早晨 .elzorro.. 今晚玩得開心點啦. Happy New Year 2011
    [版主回覆12/31/2010 11:22:00]I'll be going to a concert tonight. Happy count down for you!

    回覆刪除
  3.  
    Happy New Year to you & your family!
    [版主回覆12/31/2010 19:33:00]Thank you for this song from Abba. May the new year bring all the health, wealth and happiness that your family could wish for!

    回覆刪除
  4. May your 2011 be full of joy and full of love.
    [版主回覆01/02/2011 15:45:00]May the new year bring to you all the fun you can possibly wish but don't forget to share some of it with us!

    回覆刪除
  5. Love is motivation in our life.
    Wish you enjoy your concert tonight !
    Happy New Year 2011. 
    [版主回覆01/02/2011 15:46:00]Yes, let love rules in 2011! Thank you for you good wishes. I had a wonderful concert!

    回覆刪除
  6. Happy New Year to You and Your Family!
    祝 新年快樂! 身體健康!
    [版主回覆01/02/2011 15:47:00]Thank you for your good wishes. May I wish you and your family all the good foirtune you need. 

    回覆刪除
  7. 咦... 隻熊miss 0左 Saturday Joke ?  
    [版主回覆01/02/2011 15:57:00]Thanks for your reminder, the oversight has now been remedied! Hope you like them! But honestly, a bit black!

    回覆刪除