總網頁瀏覽量

2010年12月20日 星期一

The Difficulties of Translation

Since I have been doing quite a lot of translation of poems from Spanish or French into English and Chinese and from Chinese into English but have simply relied upon my own instincts, I often have doubts about whether my principles are right. I try my best to make my translations simple, brief and as far as possible, to keep to the original word order to enable the reader to have a sense in which the thought of the poet originally occurred. But sometimes, that may not always be possible because different languages may have very different type of permissible sentence structure with regard to where to place the subject, the object, the verbs, the adjectives and adverbs or the corresponding adjectival or abverbial phrases and certain images and symbols may have meaning in one culture which in another cultural context may have some very different connotations or even become meaningless. Sometimes it is necessary to cut out certain words which may be impliedly understood and sometimes, it may be necessary to add a subject or other adjective to make the translated version comprehensible at all. On rare occasions, it may even be necessary to introduce emotionally or meaning-wise equivalent images in the translated language quite different from that actually used in the original language. So notwithstanding my best efforts, I am always skeptical of the appropriateness of my own translations. 


Some fellow bloggers think my translation good and others may not agree. When I saw Xu Zhimo's translation of William Blake's poem "Tiger" and when I compare his version to my more literal translation, the problem of "translation" as against "re-writing" a poem in the translated language became even more stark. Which approach is "right" and which "wrong"? Even if there is no question of which is right and which is wrong, then there is still the question of which translation is "better" or may correspond more to the original poem in sense or sentiments. If there really is something called a "better" translation", what are the criteria to be used in determining what constitutes the "best" translation and what criteria are properly applicable to enable us to determine which of a number of translation is better than the others?  I turn to some experts in translation in the past to get some inkling.


Earlier in my Chinese book odyssey to both sides of the harbour, I bought a number of books on translation theory and practice. So tonight, I read my first one: "Western Theories of Translation" edited by 陳德鴻 (Chan) and 張南峰  (Cheung) by the City U of HK Press (2000, 2006).


According to Chan & Cheung, translation into Chinese has a history of more than 2000 years but such theories tended in the past to be confined to the impressions of translators after they have done certain translation and therefore were quite unsystemmatic. Only in the last 20 years has there been any professional scholarship on the problems of translation. To them, such theories have tended to emphasize setting up criteria for the practice of translation but like traditional theories of translation, they are dominated by the idea of "the supremacy of the original text" ( 原文至上) eg. theories like " 5 types of non-translatability" ( 五不翻) " fidelity, clarity and elegance" (信達雅) ," formal resemblance, resemblance in spirit and equivalence" (形似,神似,等值).


The authors think that the introduction of western translation theory did not start until the 1980's but that their scope was limited by the mainstream perspective of the Chinese translators. There are a number of such theories which may roughly be classified into those emphasizing language, linguistics, translation studies, deconstructionism, feminism and post-colonialism. But translated translation studies are confined to those by J. C. Catford, Eugune A Nida and Wolfram Wilss who all emphasize language and the importance of equivalence, rather similar to the views of mainstream Chinese translation theory. Thus recent works of those opposed to such an approach tend to be largely ignored.


The book shows samples of the translation theories from a fairly large number of writers from all ages and from all schools of translation theory most of whom are completely new to me. From the traditional language translation school they got John Dryden, Alexander Tytler. George Steiner and Friedrich Schleiermacher are semiologists. There is also Peter Newmark of a linguistic bent. All of such authors emphasize the importance of fidelity. Mary Snell-Hornby, however puts more emphasis on the relationship between translation and culture and is opposed to the theory of equivalence.


The authors also introduce another 13 other authors who are all opposed to the "fidelity" theory. Thus Jacques Derrida, Paul de Man and Lawrence Venuti, following Walter Benjamin's lead, advocate abolishing the distinction between author and translator, original text and the translated text. Han J Vermeer and Chistine Nord think that the crucial factor is the purpose of the translation. Itamar Even-Zohar, James Hlmes, Gideon Toury, José Lambert, Susan Bassnett think that the principal task of translation theory is to describe, understand and to predict translation and not to lay down criteria as to what is the best type of translation.


The authors regret that they have not been able to include in their work those writings of the latest influential theorists like Sherry Simon, Tejaswini Niranjana and Umberto Eco. I have lots to read about in the coming weeks. I hope to be able to introduce the ideas of some of the theorists in my blog when I have more time. For the time being, this blog shall serve as my introduction of the authors' introduction and as hints of some of blogs to come!


6 則留言:

  1. 詩詞不易翻, 看來你是捨易取難, 我自己就打算先寫好中文.
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 08:27:00]Sometimes you learn more by plunging right into the deep end of the pool! It's more challenging! Since one is not doing so professionally, one may get a lot of fun! I found it enormously enjoyable but sometimes, I do pity some of my readers when they got to suffer the translations I inflict upon them.

    回覆刪除
  2. 聖誕啦.又睇文章?  .俾di 聖誕色彩睇睇啦. elzorro
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 10:03:00]
    I seldom celebrate Christmas except with my family. I don't "rag" with my friends any more because I have passed that age. I usually spend  my Christmas really quietly and just do what I feel like doing, whatever that may be. When my trekking companion is in HK, I merely go hiking with him. I  live according to my own rhythm, sometimes like a recluse. I would like to get into the spirit of Christmas but somehow could never do so. It's so commercial nowadays. Perhaps I'll try to see if I can find a poem or two on Christmas. But don't count on it. But I'll see what I can do. 
    Revel, make love with your loved one and have fun. Remember, for such lively girls like you, youthfulness is a most precious quality. But it may depreciate at a spine chilling rate. So don't squander it. Don't dilly dally. Before you know it, it may have become too late! What are you wating for! Go get your boy friend. Call him up instead of expecting to get into the spirit of Christmas from this phantom. Christmas is about having new life and discarding a life which is deadening often by work and getting into the spirit of life, I mean a real life, not the mechanical routine which passes for life, but a life which vibrates with energy, with joy, with celebration of the life in you, which has been crying out for expression, despite all the constraints built by others to stifle it..

    回覆刪除
  3. reading a poem....understanding a poem....
    apart from the touch of feel, it's also depended on how the readers know the background (personal & historical) & emotion of the poet. It's really difficult to be translated.
    Maybe it's easy to translate word by word, but it's not easy to include the emotional  feeling.
    But, don't say that it's without any value for the translation because it's away to introduce poems to others.
    Thanks for your translation so that I know more poems. 
     
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 12:58:00]I agree that word for word translation may sometimes cause insuperable difficulties in terms of smoothness and elegance of the lines in the translated language. We must be faithful, not only literally, but also to the feeling expressed or conveyed by the words or lines in reelevant original texts. It is always a question of a delicate balance between "translation" and "complete rewriting in a different language". In the latter case, it is more a  new creation in its own right! But I agree that translation definitely has value in introducing to readers of a different language what is regarded as masterpieces in the original language. 

    回覆刪除
  4. A Chinese scholar 嚴復 has also written a book about translation. His focus is on "信、達、雅". Attached below is a link with content of this book for your interest:
     
    http://www.cnpedia.com/pages/book/list01.htm
     
     
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 12:59:00]Thank you so much for this information! 嚴復 is definitely an early master in translation.

    回覆刪除
  5. 還有梁實秋, 林語堂. 可以參考一下.
    [版主回覆12/21/2010 18:53:00]I'd probably die of exhaustion if I were to read them all. I certainly hope for dear life, that they'd be brief and to the point! So much to read, so little time!

    回覆刪除
  6. Dear Elzorro,
    Merry X'mas, may you have a wonderful and joyful holiday!











    [版主回覆12/22/2010 11:27:00]Thank you for this beautiful card. As always, you're really an internet sprite with a magic touch for finding beautiful stuffs to share with others! Thank you so much! I'm afraid I can only return the compliments with my old-fashioned but genuine "Merry Christmas"!  

    回覆刪除