總網頁瀏覽量

2011年12月30日 星期五

Burst of Colors under the Rain

After seeing the "Graden Railway" show at the East Gallery of the US Botanic Garden, it was quite natural that I went to see the plants and flowers at the West Gallery. After all, that was why I came in the first place. Before I could so that, I had to retrace my steps through the entrance garden where there were displayed a number of historic buildings associated with former American presidents.







This is the model of the residence of Thomas Jefferson at Montecello, Charlottesville, Virginia. By this time, the sky was overcast and it was beginning to rain. Fortunately, the Botanic Garden was protected from the pelting rain outside by a huge metal and glass/plastic dome- like structure shaped like a transparent loaf of bread with plenty of greenery. But it was dripping at places and it was really dark, as if it were already nighttime.




The garden was full of these Christmas flowers which originally came from, of all places, tropical Mexico!




This one was literally overflowing on to the ground in a torrent of bright reds.




I like these red leaves

Before I reached my destination, the orchid house, I had first to pass through the Tropical House





and passed by this tropical plant. It's called Cryptanthus or "ti" of the Bormeliad Family.





And also these orchids





And also these other orchids before entering into the neighboring haven of their near and distant relatives.





I found these blooming orange orchids




This red one, which we can often find in Hong Kong too.





There was a beautiful purple orchid but it was so dark that it was practically impossible to take any picture without a flash. .





But these purple ones can be found in Hong Kong too.





This is the best I could do without a flash





There were also many of these purple yellow and white orchids





And these with much thicker petals





This one also has thicker petals






These look more like ordinary flowers. I'm sure they'd say ordinary flowers look more like them.






This one was much better because there was a small light from the wall.





I think I have seen these in Hong Kong too.





As a token of my respect, I show three more.





Finally got the name of this one: totally unpronouncible : Pophiapedium or "High Life of Champaign". What a name!






These look nice against the light, whatever its name.





Light is really wonderful. What'd we do without light?






See what I mean?





Some white orchids with yellow stamens





More white ones but with purple stamen





More white ones under the light






These white ones have vermilion and yellow spots on them





These are half breeds, half purple and half white





These are more clear-minded: all purple.




So are these





This one looks pretty shy





Not these. They have absolute no qualms about showing themselves, like soldiers on parade.





They got competition!





These have none because they are high up





I like them all: They're bursting with the colors of Life even under the darkest clouds and a raging storm outside.




But leaves are good too!











































































4 則留言:

  1. I love the last one the most ...^_^...
    [版主回覆12/30/2011 14:53:03]They're simple but beautiful too, as if they too would love to share in the light, together.

    回覆刪除
  2. A bit of natural sunlight will make the pictures look even better. Great efforts!
    [版主回覆12/30/2011 21:33:27]Agreed. But we got to accept what we cannot change. It could easily have been worse e.g a thunder storm which caused a power outage!

    回覆刪除
  3. 最喜末幅的葉子、 色調和暖!.............. 新年快樂!.....~^o^~..
    [版主回覆01/01/2012 06:10:58]I like it too. That's why I kept it to the last!

    回覆刪除
  4. ╭╯╭╯╭╯    
    ┌───┐ 
    │咖 ├╮
    │ 啡├╯
    ╰───╯
    2012 年 1 月1 日 . .嘆杯咖啡 先啦 .. 祝 2012 開心健康 ELZORRO ^ ^
    [版主回覆01/01/2012 20:50:31]Thanks. I'll die without at least two tumblers per day!
    May all your wishes come true this year, whatever they may be!

    回覆刪除