In this poem, written in December 1966, the Cultural Revolution had already started. Wherever war, conflict and disputes might happen, the poet thought that thye should never take place within the bed. He was listening to the sound of shells overhead like a swam of fireflies their heads, probably referring to the daily shelling of Matsu and Kam Mun, the two Taiwanese islands closest to Fujian, by the PLA. But to the poet, what is most important is making love, the path to a kind of provisional eternity. His veiled reference to the female breast as "bouncy slope", love act as "rhythm" and "heavenly kingdom swirling into the eddy of your four limbs" , as hot, delicate and pure madness are very all suggestive. The political and military struggles between the two Chinas are transformed by the poet into the heavenly or eternal struggles of love within the bed by two lovers.
雙人牀 Double Bed
讓戰爭在雙人牀外進行 Let the war be carried on outside the double bed
躺在你長長的斜坡上 Lying upon your long long slope
聽流彈,像一把呼嘯的螢火 Listening to the stray shells, like a batch of howling fireflies
在你的,我的頭頂竄過 Swishing above your head and mine
竄過我的鬍鬚和你的頭髮 Swishing above my beard and your hair
讓政變和革命在四周吶喊 Let political change and revolution roar everywhere
至少愛情在我們的一邊 At least love is on our side
至少破曉前我們很安全 At least we shall be quite safe before daybreak.
當一切都不再可靠 When everything is reliable no more
靠在你彈性的斜坡上 Lying upon your bouncy slopes
今夜,即使會山崩或地震 Tonight, even if mountains tumble or the earth quakes
最多跌進你低低的盆吧 I would fall into your very low basin at most
至少有六尺的韻律是我們 6 feet of rhythm would be ours at least
至少日出前你完全是我的 you would be wholly mine before daybreak at least
仍滑膩,仍柔軟,仍可燙熱 still smooth, still soft, still able to scorch
一種純粹而精細的瘋狂 a kind of pure and delicate madness
讓夜和死亡在黑的邊境 Let night and death stay at the edge of darkness
旗號和銅號在高原上舉起 flags and brass bugles raised high on the plateaux
發動永恆在第一千次圍城 to mobilize eternity for the thousandth seige on the town
唯我們循螺紋急降,天國在下 Alone, we follow the sharp touch down along the conch's spiral
捲入你四肢美麗的旋渦。 the realm of heaven swirling into the beautiful eddies of your 4 limbs below.
John Lennon < Make Love, Not Wa r >
回覆刪除Make love, not war,
I know you've heard it before.
Make love, not war,
I know you've heard it before.
Love is the answer,
And you know that it's true, oh yeah, oh yeah.
[版主回覆11/13/2010 08:05:00]Who knows if Yu was not inspired by this song. He wrote this poem at the end of 1966!
Oh, yeah ! Make love, no war.. Peace in bed, of course! " Make love, no war... Love is all you and I need, especially when we are at war with each other... No war, no fights, no bombing, no explosions, but love should explode, War not in bed, but outside the bed, bedded in peaceful love..." Good evening, my dear old friend !
回覆刪除[版主回覆11/14/2010 01:04:00]Long live explosions of love in bed! Certainly more enjoyable!