Whilst waiting for my weekly ritual of "wine and dine" with my "swine and canine" friends , I found another one of Yu Guangzhong's poems which I like. It's also about waiting. But I don't think it's about waiting to have dinner. It's about waiting for his girl friend in the rain, probably for a romantic stroll, but perhaps even dinner. Who knows?
I found Yu writes in a way which appears to me to be remarkably similar to the way Lorca and Neruda wrote their Spanish poems: simple, colloquial, spontaneous, full of parallels to emphasize the differences. In this poem, you find the poet making constant use of comparisons, contrasts, analogies, balanced sentence constructions, but always with constant leaping between here and there, the concrete and the abstract, the present and the past, the here and now with eternity, between reality and fantasy. But his analogies are rather more dynamic. Some of them relate to actions e.g. in the last stanza, not just to static images. Here it is, with my English translation.
等你, 在雨中 Awaiting you, in the rain
等你, 在雨中, 在造虹的雨中 Awaiting you, in the rain, in the rainbow making rain
蝉声沉落, 蛙声升起 Buzzes of cicadas rising, croaks of frogs falling
一池的红莲如红焰, 在雨中 Pond of red lotus like red flames, in the rain
你来不来都一樣, 竟感覺 It didn't matter if you came, already
每朵莲都像你 every lotus felt like you
尤其隔着黄昏, 隔着這樣的细雨 especially in the evening, in such light rain
永恒, 刹那, 刹那, 永恒 Eternity, an instant, an instant, eternity,
等你, 在時間之内 在時間之内, 等你, 在刹那, 在永恒 Awaiting you, on time, on time, awaiting you, in an instant, in eternity
如果你的手在我的手里, 此刻 If your hands were in mine, if now
如果你的清芬 your fresh aroma were
在我的鼻孔, 我會說, 小情人 in my nose, I would say, Little Lover
诺, 這只手應該採蓮, 在吴宫 No, these hands ought to be picking lotus, at the palace of Ng
這只手應該 these hands ought to be
搖一柄桂槳,在木蘭舟中 rowing an oar of cassia, in a boat of lily magnolia
一顆星懸在科學館的飛檐 A star overhanging the eave of the Science Museum
耳墜子一般的懸着 like the pendant of an earring
瑞士錶表說都七點了 忽然你走来 The Swiss watch saying t'was 7 already, suddenly you came running
步雨後的红莲, 翩翩, 你走来 Red lotus after the rain, elegantly, you came running
像一首小令 like a song
從一则爱情的典故里你走来 From a romantic classic, you came running
從姜白石的詞裡, 有韵地, 你走来 From Chiang Bai Shi's verses, rhythmically, you came running.
"Awaiting you in the rain, You hiding somewhere, wants to play hide and seek, In a maze, we search and we begin to wonder, The exit is nowhere to be found, Rain washes away everything, but our hearts..." Good morning, my dear old friend !
回覆刪除[版主回覆11/06/2010 10:03:00]Thank you for this "hide and seek" in the rain! And the fresh Taiwanese singer with her song!
Another excellent attempt.
回覆刪除Keep it up man.
[版主回覆11/07/2010 00:18:00]Thank you! Don't worry. I'm hyperactive! MTC. It'll keep flowing! Just you wait!